Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pro-Life at the polls

There has been some serious lamenting in the Christian blogosphere over the election of Barack Obama. As always in the USA, the issue is primarily over abortion. Have you ever wondered why it is not the issue for Christians in Australia as it is in the USA? I personally have to admit it is not my only concern when voting, I consider other human rights issues as well, including immigration and foreign policy. So the election of Obama you would think would leave me feeling excited about the difference he might make to those struggling in poverty and war torn countries around the world. I'm not. Because I read things like this, that leave me feeling cold;

Obama has forcefully vowed that his very first act as President would be to sign the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA). FOCA claims a "fundamental right" to abortion throughout all nine months of pregnancy, and no government body at any level would be able to "deny or interfere with" this right. Even the pro-choice NOW readily acknowledges that FOCA would literally "sweep away hundreds of anti-abortion laws [and] policies."
Taken from here


How much does abortion in Australia affect you when you go to the polls?

1 comment:

kate said...

this makes me very sad

we would never elect someone who said that we all have the right to kill people - i wonder why is this different??