Friday, September 5, 2008

On Hell

I find the concept of eternal conscious punishment in hell intolerable and do not understand how people can live with it without either cauterising their feelings or cracking under the strain.
John Stott, as quoted in Gagging of God. Don Carson


I'd agree. I haven't thought about hell in a while, but my struggle with hell is the biggest challenge to my Christian faith. It really stings to think of friends and family suffering in eternal conscious pain.

I think we ought to be horrified about the concept of hell. How do we weep after Jerusalem as Jesus did and then not be mortified by what will happen to those we are weeping for who reject Christ? Yet, at the same time we need to rejoice in judgement. I was walking with a very respected friend of mine who is now a minister, and we saw in the distance a man who had been verbally sexually assaulting some of the girls on our ministry team. "Praise God for hell, man" he said to me. Ouch. But was he being biblical?

No comments: