Thursday, September 18, 2008

Toward a Prophetic Youth Ministry: Theory and Praxis in Urban Context

One of the most frustrating things about doing youth ministry in an urban context is the lack of resources. Most books and studies are written for middle-class youth ministry in the suburbs, which can make it difficult to deal with programming and conflict. Of the few books I've picked up regarding Urban Youth Ministry have been a little wishy-washy and focused on games. I remember one game was 'Pick up the butts', which was a game you could play at a bus stop. It was a race to see who could pick up the most cigarette butts in the allotted time...delicious.

So this is why I'm a excited about this book by Fernando Arzola Jr. that I picked up today. I don't normally buy a book unless I have already heard about the author, but this one looked good from the outset. He writes from a biblical and historically orthodox tradition rooted in the Bible and the ancient creeds, at the same time having the worldview of a 'Puerto-Rican American raised in the Mott Haven (??) section of the South Bronx as a life-long New York City resident'. It is published by ivp and the praise quotes for it are by good people. I've read a few chapters so far, and there are some really good things, as well as some things I'm a bit iffy about. I'll also write some summaries if I get around to it.

No comments: