Sunday, August 24, 2008

Too late for a personality change?

I've had a few of those 'wow, I really am a jerk' moments lately. Things I've said in public that really just reveal to me (and everyone) the depths of my immaturity and indiscretion of word choice. We all have these moments, and I honestly think such self reflection is a good thing if it leads to repentance (2 Cor 7:10). But how do we actually effect change in our character? I'm not talking about certain sins we might be struggling with necessarily, but more deeply rooted characteristics in our personality such as laziness, rashness of toungue, irresponsibility, unreliability and a natural self-centeredness. Is there an answer that is more specific and applicable than pray, read your bible and let the Holy Spirit do it's work? (not that these are not essential!)

3 comments:

psychodougie said...

you could just stop hanging out with such intellectual, mature Christians that make you feel like you have to be good.

or hang out more with older, maturer Christians so that some of their goodliness rubs off on you.

geoffc said...

haha. thanks Doug. But you're assuming it's because of the people I hang out with that made me feel tha way, when it was actually downright sinfulness and stupidity.

But yeah, hanging out with Godly men is definately a good idea

Nik Hamilton said...

I think you hit the nail on the head when you wrote about self-reflection.
As you notice these ungodly traits, you can bring them before God and I think over time you start noticing that you're about to say/ do something that is ungodly.
But you're totally right that it's God's work anyway!
I just reckon that part of God's work is unveiling the sin to you aswell as changing you.
Ever noticed how the more mature in the faith, those lovely old men and patient women are just so godly seemingly without even trying? I think it's just that they've had longer on earth for God to work within them .
They've been taught by the spirit and over a longer period of time.
We're all sinful though. And as soon as we start thinking we're pretty good, we've lost the plot again. Pride is such a sneaky sin!