Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Luther on the Kingdom

The kingdom is to be in the midst of your enemies. And he who will not suffer this does not want to be of the kingdom of Christ; he wants to be aomgfriends, to sit among roses and lilies, not with the bad people but the devoutpeople. O you blasphemers and betrayers of Christ! If Christ had done what you are doing who would ever have been spared?


I love friends, and they are so much easier to be with than the unsaved.Bonhoeffer is quoting him here in the beggining of a chapter on Community. Wemust not take it for granted that as Christians we have the privelege of livingwith other Christians. Bonhoeffer says this is because Christ lived in the midstof his enemies, and at the end of it all even his disciples deserted him.Therefore we too, must live 'in the thick of foes'.

It scares me. It scares me because I love my friends, but also because I fear what Christ will say to me if I meet him face to face as one who has sought relationships not with the bad people, but only the good. What am I for the kingdom?

No comments: