Tuesday, June 24, 2008

You forgot about the grace part.

A disciple can be forgiven if he does not have great mental ability. He can be forgiven also if he does not display outstanding prowess. But no disciple can be excused if he does not have zeal. If his heart is not aflame with red-hot passion for the Savior, he stands condemned.
William McDonald, True Discipleship

I am thankful that this statement is wrong. Upon reflection I realise that words such as these, although at the time when I read them were extremely challenging, actually take away from Christ's atoning work on the cross. I am forgiven for my lack of zeal. I am forgiven for everything. It's a good read, but in missing the grace factor actually misses what 'true discipleship' is all about.

I read this book about 6 years ago, and thought it was a must-read for everyone in this pew-warming age we live in. Though we still need kicks (many kicks) up the butt in this area, it's interesting how views can change. Hopefully it's a sign that I've grown :-)

No comments: