Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Scum of the earth, the refuse of the world

I love this passage of scripture. I was able to share it with my first year group at Moore today. It is from Paul as he rebukes the Corinthian church for their arrogance, and I find it both encouraging and a staunch rebuke at the same time:

For it seems to me that God has put us apostles on display at the end of the
procession, like men condemned to die in the arena. We have been made a
spectacle to the whole universe, to angels as well as to men. We are fools for
Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are
honored, we are dishonored! To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are
in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. We work hard with our own
hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when
we are slandered, we answer kindly. Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world.


I wonder what this ought to look like in my own life. How am I to be this type of person to the world? I ought to be thankful that it is what Jesus did on the cross that makes me his disciple, not my attempts at being like Paul and Jesus. However, I am still rebuked by the life of faithfulness and humility that this passage represents, and desire it for my own life

3 comments:

Dave Miers said...

good verse. challenging.

2 posts in one day... slow down!!

geoffc said...

Yeah, but check out all the comments. Gotta give the people what they want.

reuben// said...

I like it too...from time to time I wonder what I'd do under such extreme persecution as Paul faced.

I mostly think: "hopefully i'll be spared that test", but is that right? don't know...